Monday, February 1, 2010

Facebook Distractions

Facebook has countless advantages. For example it can be used a tool in businesses, can bring those with common interests together, and can help people to get- and stay in touch with friends who they don’t see often. However Facebook can also be an enormous distraction to people who are trying to get work done. College students, like myself frequently go on their laptop with the intention of doing research and *somehow* end up on Facebook for an hour. The other very common scenario is that we go on Facebook while doing work and end up spending 2 hours on a 1 hour assignment because half of our attention is on facebook. Most of us recognize this problem but don’t know how to deal with it. We’re not willing to give up our Facebooks but we know that continuing to procrastinate on Facebook is hurting our ability to work efficiently and taking up an excessive amount of our time. While I think people should try to limit themselves to an hour or less on facebook each day and shouldn’t go on non academic sites after beginning an assignment ,I am aware that this idea may not work for everyone. How do YOU think people can combat the problem of facebook as a work distraction?

2 comments:

  1. I strongly agree with you. Every time I'm near my computer it is an instant reaction to log onto my facebook account. It is very distracting and I never work as fast as i normally do without it. I think I'm going to try and limit myself to facebook as much as i can. My studies would probably be better without it. All facebook is is an addicting distraction.. that is also alot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, personally, don't fall prey to the Facebook distraction, since I only made one in order to get updates from Marist Housing, but you are totally right. My roommates seem to have this problem; whenever they say that they are working or studying, they either have Facebook open or atleast tabbed, in which they are also chatting. They insist they're studying... But maybe it's just me who can't see how to multitask those two things.

    ReplyDelete