Thursday, February 18, 2010
the near death of my laptop and the insight that came with it
Last Saturday my laptop sadly fell from my desk, shattering its screen and destroying most of its mechanisms, rendering it useless. Due to my busy schedule I was unable to go to resnet until Wednesday to give it in for repair (thank god for the warranty), and to receive a loner for the mean time. In these 4 days that I did not have a working laptop, I spent an excessive amount of time on school desktops, not only doing school work but also doing things like going on facebook, playing games, and going on you tube. This 4 day stretch made me realize how dependent I am on computers. While I am not happy about much I over rely on computers, I am glad that I had the opportunity to become aware of it , prompting me to make an effort to become less dependent. As part of this effort, starting on Monday , I will spend a week in which I limit myself to only half an hour of non academic activity on the computer . There will be 2 exceptions. Since I only watch tv online I will periodically allow myself to watch an episode of tv online or movie with a friend and I will allow myself to listen to as much instrumental music as I want on youtube, while studying since it helps me concentrate. Each day I will write a journal entry about my experience and its impact on productivity and socializing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I do not know what i would do if my laptop broke. Every single time walk into my room, turning my laptop on is sub consciously the first thing i do. it is unbelievable how dependent we are of technology. I don't know what our parents did when they were doing nothing. It seems that when asked "whats up".. "nothing" is not an answer anymore. it is impossible in this day and age do be doing absolutely nothing.
ReplyDeleteMy laptop screen had a blackout during the snow days. I could see the screen if shined a flashlight on it, but other than that I was doomed. I had to wait a while for my parents to mail a new one. I don't live on campus so I was limited to computer time. I got so much more done. I actually did work. And it made me wonder what the heck I was doing on the computer all day long. What could've been that interesting that I had wasted so many hours of the day. I felt disconnected to say the least...and that's just sad. Life should'nt revovle around the internet and updates. We all rely way too much on the computer or technology in general for that matter.
ReplyDelete