Monday, April 12, 2010

digital books and the kindle

When the Kindle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle) came out , I was instantly excited about it. As someone who loves to read, but does want to have to carry or store a lot of books it seemed like a perfect idea for me. I was also happy about the fact that it would save paper, reducing our negative impact on the environment. My mother got a Kindle for Christmas and we quickly loaded up digital books on it.

What I learned by using the kindle was that as convenient, useful, and often fun as it was, it just didn’t compare to reading a real book. When at home I often chose reading a hard copy of a book rather than using the kindle. With the kindle I didn’t have the luxury of being able to curl up with an old book with a beautiful cover and tattered pages in a comfy chair– and I realized how much I had taken that wonderful experience for granted. As much as I love my Kindle I know that it will never replace reading real books.

I don’t believe that books will go completely digital because I think too many people (like myself) love the experience of reading a hard copy of a book. However I am not sure that there will be enough people who feel this way, to ensure that libraries will maintain as good a selection of books as they have now. I *hope* that in 40 years my grandkids will be able to go to the library and find (almost) all the books that they wish to read on the libraries’ shelves

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. As cool as the Kindle looks I don't think I will be getting one anytime soon...unless I find myself traveling everywhere and then in that case it would be nice. However, the point of the book isn't jsut for plain reading...there's a whole experience that goes with it. A book should help you escape from your thoughts and technology. I have to stare at my laptop all day. I'd much rather read the words on paper and be able to see a book become worn over the years because of the comfort it provided. Kindle is neat and all, but it doesn't make for nice memories!

    ReplyDelete