Friday, April 30, 2010
pro- ana and pro-mia websites and free speech
The internet has always been an outlet for free speech. I believe that this in inherently a good thing. However at the same time I think free speech can be taken to a dangerous extreme on the internet. I say this not because I do not believe in free speech ( I firmly do, as many people who know me are aware of given that I am opinionated , and therefore very regularly exercise my use of free speech) but I think that it can be a problem when someone promotes dangerous ideas and gives dangerous advice online, and influences others to follow these ideas and advice. I think the biggest examples of this are the pro- ana and pro-mia (pro anorexia and bulimia) websites. Such websites promote the idea that it is more important to be extremely thin than healthy , encourage others on the website to essentially starve themselves, give advice on how to hide an eating disorder, and give tips on how to lose weight rapidly and to avoid eating a healthy diet and to instead eat as little as possible. I think these websites are particularly dangerous because they perpetuate the idea that anorexia and bulimia are lifestyles rather than diseases and that people who choose these live styles are making a strong choice and that anyone who opposes them is wrong. I would imagine that somebody with an eating disorder would get much worse if they became a member of one of these sites because of all of the pro eating disorder sentiment. I also think being on a site like this would make it much more difficult to recover because of all how the sites justify eating disorders as a choice not a disease. I understand that these sites cannot be shut down because they are an outlet for free speech, but I still believe that they are wrong. Women have enough issues with their body image, we don’t need to have sites that perpetuate the idea that there is something wrong with them because they have love handles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You're not kidding. These are terrible websites to have in our current day due to the increasing amount of adolescent girls and adult women with eating disorders. Yet according to the first amendment, there is nothing to do and there is no rule they are breaking. But it's the ethics behind it. This is like the same situation as cults and those with websites dedicated to prejudice.
ReplyDelete